Friday, November 8, 2013

Waiting

Like David, I have often called out to God in my distress, as if I have the ability to summon Him on my behalf as I please. I have saturated my prayers with the words mercy and forgiveness time and time again. On other occasions I have used phrases like "How long O Lord?" and "I call upon the name of the Lord" hoping these biblical sounding words would move God to act more quickly. However, even in moments of distress there often seems to be a required period of waiting, as if God is whispering "this is part of my plan."

Waiting is not something I am fond of doing and not something I do exceptionally well. It is a struggle because I seek and desire an immediate answer or response in all that I do or have need of. To wait is never in my plan.  It does not appear to fit my spiritual DNA, or does it?

The scriptures are clear; waiting on God is part of understanding our relationship with God. Our heavenly Father is not bound by space or time; He has no such mortal limitations. So as I call out to Him the scriptures remind me that His answers will always come, but on His time not mine.

In Psalm 13:1 David cries out "How long, Lord? Will you forget me forever? How long will you hide your face from me?" David goes on to say he is wrestling with his thoughts, he has sorrow in his heart, and it seems his enemies will continue to triumph. His struggles pierce him from depths of his very being. However, in verses five and six David sings a different song, "But I trust in your unfailing love; my heart rejoices in your salvation. I will sing the Lord's praise, for he has been good to me."

In this short Psalm, David's emotions move from distress to praise, doubt to conviction. Here I can resonate with him because in his response I find myself. The distress, the doubting questions, the cries for help, all are there. Yet here I am also reminded of the faithfulness of my God and if I wait upon Him He will answer me in His good time; so like David I wait. For it is in moments like these I find the assurance I seek. It is in the depths of this silent place I sense His love and grace covering me. It is in the waiting, I release my fears and the burdens of life. It is in the waiting I am able to dwell in the safety of my relationship with the one true living God, through Jesus Christ my Lord.

RefRev


No comments:

Post a Comment